The cannabis industry is often seen as “new and shiny” due to the most recent bouts of legalization it has seen, not only in Canada but globally as well. In the last couple of years there has been so many articles, podcasts, news reports, interviews and tradeshows about the benefits of the cannabis plant and all of its wonderful healing properties. The cannabis sector is booming, however none of this is new to the Indian culture. The use of the cannabis plant in India dates back to 2000 BCE (before current era).
We thought about the best way to kick of THE BUZZ and thought to ourselves “why not go right to the source?” Our premiere episode featured a discussion with Anav Jain, CEO & Founder of World of Hemp Global. World of hemp organic platform that connects cannabis manufacturers to their global market opportunities. They also produce their own brand of cannabis infused products merging ancient Sanskrit healing formulas with modern-day applications. We had a great chat with this young and innovative entrepreneur, speaking to many topics like history, legalization, cultural use and business opportunities in India.
Cannabis is a global industry that can differ greatly from country to country. We dug deep and explored India’s unique perspective. Here are our biggest takeaways:
- Learning the law is the fundamental of what you need to know in the business especially in cannabis
- Cannabis grows wild in India particularly on the North East part of the country bordering the Himalayas
- There are many varieties of cannabis plants in India that other parts of the world don’t have, some of which haven’t even been identified yet
- Cannabis is something that belongs to Indian history and culture being used for thousands of years in fibers, papers, fabrics, medicinal and cosmetic products
- Cannabis is not consumed recreationally in India. It is used during cultural and religious consumption like in festivals. It’s called BHANG.
- There are only SIX licenses for manufacturing cannabis given in India, three of which is owned by World of Hemp Global
- Ayurvedic medicine is one of the world’s oldest medical systems and remains one of India’s traditional health care systems; transcribed ancient Sanskrit formulas of medicine that would combine cannabis with other herbs and spices
- The Indian cannabis industry can seamlessly work with global partners to continue the growth of the industry just like it did with yoga